Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Reorienting the Three Kings

I was delighted to receive email from someone who attended my recent talk about Advent, delivered to parents engaged in "whole family catechesis."

These brave souls are parishioners at The Cathedral of St. Francis of Assisi in Metuchen, NJ. Lots showed up. They had to; it was required. But they laughed, took notes, and asked if I could come back, so I'm thinking they didn't mind me being their assignment. I certainly had a great time with them!

My Advent presentation includes a heartfelt mini-tirade about how it is not "pre-Christmas" but a liturgical season unto itself. I also wax on about the Three Kings and describe a folk custom with great catechetical value. And so, I was very happy to learn that someone did, in fact, go home and move the Three Kings. Her kids "LOVE" looking for the wandering royalty every morning. There's still time to adopt this custom, even if you don't have kids.

Here's the deal: Do you have a Nativity set? Is it set up? If so, where have you placed the Three Kings? If they're anywhere near the manger (i.e., crib) , then right after you finish reading this post, push away from the computer, get up, and move them. They should not arrive on the scene until the Feast of the Epiphany (January 6).

Until then, have them trooping along your window sills or wandering across your kitchen counters. My Wise Guys are making their way along the tops of several adjacent picture frames in my hallway. They will travel throughout my home during the next few weeks before ending up by the manger which, by the way, will not have Baby Jesus in residence until Christmas Vigil.

See? It's never too late to have a happy Catholic childhood. For my 100-word reflection about the childhood I did have relative to Christmas, check out today's entry on the Advent calendar at BustedHalo.com.