Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mystery Rocks

Today, I woke up to an email from someone wanting to know if I was okay. She had noticed the sudden drop in the frequency of my blog posts. I'm okay. In fact, I'm much better than merely okay.

In Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics, Marsha Sinetar writes:
"The typical imagery of a mystic's vocabulary involves the words of progress, action, of movement toward or away from God: finding; searching; keeping on the way; being 'stuck,' lost, separated; illumination; union; arrival; completion."
This would basically sum up my experience of Lent, Holy Week, and the Octave of Easter. By Easter Wednesday, I finally stopped trying to track how and how often the invisible hand of God was made visible in even the most mundane events. (I stopped believing in "coincidence" decades ago.) And whenever I caught myself thinking that I'd finally experienced a Holy Spirit grand finale, God's absolute, constant, and merciful presence would be revealed. Again. And then, again.

I'm somewhat happy to report that the mystical path is exhilaratingly and exhausting. It's also nearly impossible to write about without sounding completely insane which, if you ask me, only serves to enhance the allure of trying.