Monday, August 11, 2008

ArmaDei.com

Monica McConkey arrived at the Catholic Writers Guild booth as I was packing up to leave last week's Catholic Marketing Network Conference.

Thanks to the concrete floor and brutal lighting of the convention center, I was a bit cranky and not at my loving Christian best when she suggested exchanging books. She, however, was so lovely and loving that I did stroll over to her booth for The Arma Dei Publishing Company. Wow! Double wow!!

Does anyone not know how fiercely I advocate high quality in content and design and print production, especially for self-published materials? After seeing way too much junk in the world of print-on-demand and self-publishing, I am fierce to the point of rude about the need for quality control.

Monica's materials? Impeccable on all levels. The visual posted here doesn't begin to do justice to the richness of her products which include a book, flash cards that double as playing cards, crafts projects, and more. The Cathletics Key cards are brilliant in every sense of the word.

Arma Dei materials are great for parish-based as well as home-based catechisis, also gifts -- think RCIA, for example. She says these products are primarily for kids and, gee, I guess so. Many if not all of these items would work for adult faith formation as well. Order direct and while you're at it, demand that your parish, your diocese, and your local Catholic bookstore keep Arma Dei stuff in stock.

I gave her a copy of my book, The Catholic Home in exchange for a deck of Reverence & Awe Collector Cards. I also wanted a set of the key cards but didn't want to descend into gluttony.