Tuesday, October 14, 2008

All a-Twitter about Technology

Picture this: I'm speeding up the learning curve while sliding down the slippery slope of new media. First, blogging. Next, LinkedIn, the business networking site. What could possibly be next?

What's next for me is twitter. Up until ~ 36 hours ago, I would've rolled my eyes and groaned if you asked me about Twitter. I would've said, "The kids today have way too much time on their thumbs."

Now, I'm seeing amazing possibilities and uses for this social media tool that provides 140 characters to answer the simple question, "What are you doing?" The answer is posted and then a universe of possibility opens up. While my brain is looking at the value of twitter for marketing and promotion, my heart is seeing the possibilities for building a virtual community for people of faith.

For one thing, all that unpleasant whining by church leadership about not being able to reach youth? It could all disappear "in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye" before the last trumpet sounds and the dead are "raised imperishable" (1 Co 15:52).

I have friends who leave what we call "Holy Spirit Moment" messages on my various phone answering devices. I'd certainly love to see one of these notes pop up on my computer screen as a tweet, especially during a stressful day.

Lots of possibilities and I'm sure more will become manifest as I become more conversant with this technology. Check it out, let me know when you sign up and perhaps we can tweet one another into greater consciousness about being here to love and serve You Know Who and one another.

I'm twittering at: http://www.twitter.com/MeredithGould


h/t to Publicity Hound, Joan Stewart for a great teleseminar featuring Warren Whitlock, co-author of The Twitter Handbook.