Sunday, November 9, 2008

An Author's Life: The Slump (VI)

Maybe switching to Diet Coke and pretzels wasn't such a great idea. I could be making this up but writing was easier when Diet Cream soda, Cheez Doodles, and salami were involved. Now, not so much.

The work of
moving heaps of words into sentences, maneuvering sentences into paragraphs, and piling paragraphs into text is exhausting. According to the blueprints, the structure should hold, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to ram a bulldozer into the whole thing.

This slump is predictable but that doesn't make it any easier. Nor does writing about the Jewish roots of Christianity at this point in time. Just my luck it's the Vatican-declared Year of St. Paul. Everyone around me is woo hoo St. Paul. I'm having a meltdown while reading Galatians and spending money in therapy talking about it to my Jewish Conservadox therapist.

To make matters worse, I discovered earlier this evening that the tiny white pellets on my couch were not pretzel salt but the innards of my lap desk cushion. I think I need to get back to the Doodles tomorrow.