Monday, November 10, 2008

Brawling Monks!

This morning's headline story from Jerusalem, Monks brawl at site of crucifixion, should not have perked me up but I confess to you, my sisters and brothers, it did. According to this report, Armenian and Greek Orthodox monks came to fisticuffs at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

The tussle took place at the Edicule, an edifice marking the site of Jesus' tomb. In fact, the entire church site is divided among six Christian sects who apparently cannot resist fighting over turf rights. This latest skirmish had to be handled by Israeli riot police in assault gear.

And why did this perk me up? I feel an odd sort of sociological thrill whenever I encounter evidence for how the formal institution of church subverts faith. These events help refocus my attention on Almighty God.