Tuesday, December 2, 2008

All I Want for Christmas is a Thurible

Truth to tell, for Christmas I'd like the whole My Mass Kit which, in addition to a Thurible, includes a Crucifix, Chalice, Finger Bowl, Purificator, Cruets, Candles, Paten, cloth Corporeal, and "foam Hosts." I love that the kit includes 12 pieces. How symbolically cool is that?

My Mass Kit is being marketed for "boys 3-12" and I know the (current) rules, so wouldn't dare imperil my eternal salvation by playing Roman Catholic priest. I might, however, be tempted to play Episcopal priest.

It's far more likely that I'd use My Mass Kit to practice being a Catholic altar server because I'm still a little shaky about which linens go with what and when the cruets make an appearance. This is not something I learned when I was growing up...and attending Temple Sinai.

Since I've already treated myself to a holy day gift of the Sonocino Talmud on CD-Rom, I hope My Mass Kit is affordable. Apparently, the retail price has not yet been determined.


I first read about this just-in-time-for-Christmas product on Catholic Sensibility and then tracked back to dotCommonweal where the comments and David Gibson's replies are even better than his original post. Check 'em out!