Saturday, December 6, 2008

Find a Messiah Sing-Along! Make a Joyful Noise!

It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas.

No, not around here. Here, I'm still listening to Advent music, which basically means putting O Come, O Come Emmanuel on continuous play. And not at the mall, which I avoid -- can't risk hearing I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.

What sounds like Christmas and welcomed by me during Advent is Handel's oratorio, The Messiah. If I had enough energy and throat lozenges, I could spend almost all next week and weekend participating in The Messiah Sing-Along events.

I'd tote my very own copy of the score. (Note: Makes a great gift, that's how I got mine.) I'd be warmed up from singing along with my current favorite recording. I'd certainly know enough to stand with one ear in the alto section and another with the sopranos for easy access to both. I, for one, do not attempt high octave runs any more.

I'd go even if I couldn't read music or sing tolerably well. I stand by what I wrote in The Catholic Home years ago: "Lip sync if you must, but don't pass up the opportunity to be embraced by what is perhaps the most glorious musical tribute to Jesus the Christ ever written."

2 comments:

  1. Like many Jews I know, including myself, I enjoy many of the Christmas songs, particularly the older ones, many ironically written by Jewish composers, and not the more recent pieces like the one you mentioned. The infamous melodies and words make singing along fun and easy. But it is Handel's "The Messiah" that causes me to choke up whenever I hear it. The combination of the music and spirit flowing through the piece captures my soul and I find myself searching to find it on the car radio whenever I am driving. Maybe that little creature you discovered the night before was also trying to escape from the schmaltzy mall music and felt a calling into your house. I wonder what/who else you would attract if you played "O Come All Ye Faithful."
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it's so lovely to count on EWTN to show the old black and white film of Handel creating The Messiah. Once again, snuggled in heavy terry bathrobe and burgandy fluff slippies, I watched it last night. I really really miss the 3 versions of Scrooge though! But that is the child within whining about that one. Still, I always tear up with Tiny Tim.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!