Saturday, December 6, 2008

Find a Messiah Sing-Along! Make a Joyful Noise!

It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas.

No, not around here. Here, I'm still listening to Advent music, which basically means putting O Come, O Come Emmanuel on continuous play. And not at the mall, which I avoid -- can't risk hearing I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.

What sounds like Christmas and welcomed by me during Advent is Handel's oratorio, The Messiah. If I had enough energy and throat lozenges, I could spend almost all next week and weekend participating in The Messiah Sing-Along events.

I'd tote my very own copy of the score. (Note: Makes a great gift, that's how I got mine.) I'd be warmed up from singing along with my current favorite recording. I'd certainly know enough to stand with one ear in the alto section and another with the sopranos for easy access to both. I, for one, do not attempt high octave runs any more.

I'd go even if I couldn't read music or sing tolerably well. I stand by what I wrote in The Catholic Home years ago: "Lip sync if you must, but don't pass up the opportunity to be embraced by what is perhaps the most glorious musical tribute to Jesus the Christ ever written."