Thursday, March 12, 2009

Calendar Cognitive Disorder: Lenten Edition

If you're thinking that by now I should realize it's Lent, you'd be oh-so-correct.

I did, after all, have the privilege of distributing forehead schmutz during two services on Ash Wednesday. I have indeed noticed the absence of flowers and presence of purple in the church sanctuary. I even made what the priest characterized as "a good confession" during last week's parish Mission.

Still, it doesn't feel like Lent to me. I'm not exactly sure why not, but I may have what one friend calls a calendar cognitive disorder. "Unless I have a calendar in front of me, I don't know what day it is," she explained recently. (I forget which day.)

My form of CCD is, as you might imagine, much more esoteric: Even with a liturgical calendar in front of me, I don't know what season it is.

I'm firmly convinced this has nothing to do with brain biochemistry. I blame exogenous factors like not being able to find Lekvar hamantaschen yesterday, and waking up to purple Peeps shaped like bunnies on Facebook this morning. This too shall pass. When?

2 comments:

  1. You do have a wonderful way with words!
    Griff

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, Nancy, gets the credit for coming up with "calendar cognitive disorder." BTW, the Twitter link on the sidebar sent me right to my Twitter page. Wonder why that didn't happen for/to you?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!