Saturday, May 30, 2009

Come, Holy Connectivity

For Pentecost, our choir will be singing what I consider a really awful translation of Veni Sancte Spiritus. The English words are so out of whack with the traditional chant, that we were still screwing up after a half dozen attempts. In my rarely humble opinion. there's some liturgical stuff that should never have been translated into the vernacular.

And yes, I do appreciate the irony of making a case for chanting in Latin while downloading UberTwitter onto my Blackberry Curve during choir practice.

2 comments:

  1. UberTwitter - Oh my!

    Well prayers for good song, in any language. Isn't that the beauty of Pentecost?

    I am up early to drive east to the Boston area and will go to Mass at Austin Fleming's parish. After that, a brief trip up the road for my cousin's rabbinical ordination.

    Come Holy Spirt - come!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith,
    What a surprise to know you also struggle with humility!! Better still that you have become a Latin snob (sine nobilitatae--in case you forgot).
    BTW I went to mass for Pentecost. The Catholic Chaplain is a way cool guy from who was faculty at Fordham and a Columbia grad.
    PAX--Sarge

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!