Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Killed by an Angel?

I've already written about how Thelma, my warrior tabby of bless├Ęd memory, bestowed one last gift, a picture of which you can see here. She was one of three wonderful fur angels but I must confess I miss her the most.

She was my gardening companion. This spring I noticed my heart aching as I started clearing out winter plant debris. I wept a bit while greeting daffodils, snowdrops, and grape hyacinths without my tabby in tow.

We had another grand ritual, Thelma and I. Proclaiming, "go forth and kill something for mommy," I'd fling open the front door with a great flourish. Thelma would return with a carcass which, as anyone who has been possessed by cats knows, is a sign of great love and devotion. I recalled this yesterday while watching squirrels and cursing the birds dive-bombing my windows.

I could ─ and occasionally do ─ burst into tears from missing my tabby, like when I opened my front door this morning to find this:

6 comments:

  1. Hi Meredith,
    This is remarkable and I can imagine how you thought of the angel bringing it to you. A cat adopted me some years ago and I was not a cat person but this one converted me. One night I was working and it suddenly leapt onto my lap and really snuggled into me, more so than usual and then jumped off and wanted to go to the door.It died the next day ( found under a bush) and I am convinced it had said its own special goodbye to me the previous night. Yes I cry still and your post reminds me of how precious these wonderful creatures are.
    Thanks and wishing you peace and blessings.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my beloved friend Meredith - I weep with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful love story you have shared with us. I look forward to hearing more. Such examples of animals giving us the unconditional love they do is really good sermon fodder. May Thelma's love grace all who know you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate. I had a love affiar with a wild turkey who visited me devotedly and then disappeared for a few years. but he is back this year, and I am happy! I actually stopped by to tell you I just got your Book The Catholic Home which I ordered recently and it arrived on my doorstep a few days ago. I can't wait to dig into it. Thanks for writing it -- I can tell from the table of contents I will relish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear friend. Thelma is telling you..."it's time."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago my daughter left on her first job after college-a time of renewal after four years of study-to work on a dude ranch in Colorado. The morning of departure her longtime companion, Puddin, a black and white cat, was acting mysteriously, running in and out of the house. Upon return from the airport to put her on her flight to Denver, we drove into the driveway to see Puddin lying in the driveway near the rear of the house, two cats sitting near her as if to be her sentinels. Puddin had died. When we talked to our daughter that evening, she asked out of nowhere, "Did something happen to Puddin today?" We've never forgotten this experience.

    Johno

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!