Monday, August 15, 2011

Wedding: Crowd-Sourcing the Dress

On my wedding day...what to wear?

White? Don't be ridiculous.

Black? No one will let me, even though I look and feel fabulous in black.

The klutz factor rules out wearing a long gown. My personal desire to be frum in church means at least 3/4-length sleeves. I refuse to wear anything that requires being strangled to near-death by what was once called a girdle but is now called "shapewear."

I also don't want to waste time schlepping through stores, so this weekend I went shopping online. Of course I didn't buy anything. Since I'm quasi-incapable of doing something like this without input, a group of trusted gal pals, one male friend, and Dan received links to dresses I thought I liked.

(Ever the social scientist, I sent out the email with blind copies so as not to taint the sample. Some of them know one another and are also on Twitter.)

The results? A clear preference for one of the dresses with a couple of friends adding most graciously, "You'd look gorgeous in either."

I ended up ordering the dress that landed the most votes, which also happened to be the one I like the best...for now.


13 comments:

  1. Here are a few color ideas:

    lavender?
    shimmery gold?
    silver?

    whatever you choose will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress I ordered is deep purple ("Aubergine.") We'll see what it looks like off the screen and on my flesh unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aubergine goes really well with gold-colored accessories. Good luck with all this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story, Meredith. You'll look FABULOUS! I worked full or part-time in men's clothing stores from ages 18 to 23, and when we got in a new shipment of shirts, that's when I first learned about aubergine as a fashion color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aubergine - sounds perfect.

    Were your ears burning today? I was tossing your name and #chosm around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delayed reaction --- frum!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran: Not burning but buzzing a bit! Hope you were tossing #chsocm (not #chosm) around. Please encourage folks to subscribe to the blog so they get info about transcripts, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it was spoken - let us hope that I spoke the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, what color nylons and shoes? Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, Bren, are you saying that black leggings and ballet flats are inappropriate?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!