Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wedding: The Rings of Truth

I haven't launched a scientific survey but it seems like for every person who thinks our wedding is very non-traditional, there are at least two or more who think it's very traditional.

At this point in my life, I'm accustomed to living with paradox. In fact, I'd probably drop dead of shock if everything I did came -- and stayed -- in any sort of conventional alignment.

Back to the wedding. Yes, we're both wearing wedding bands. Yes, our wedding bands will match. Truth to tell, Dan is the one who first went online to review options.

I would have been fine with a plain gold band; don't need any more bling. Yep, would have been just fine with a simple wedding ring, so imagine my surprise to feel thrilled to the point of welling up with tears when our rings (ordered online, of course) arrived.

We'll be wearing silver bands engraved with "Pray without ceasing," from St. Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians. Those words are part of this passage:
“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

(1Thess 5:16-18)

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I understand wanting to go "simple" on the ring, and yours are really in the category of profound, but I must take issue with your statement about needing more bling. EVERYONE needs more bling! Who better to know this than the Queen of Bling herself! (That would be me of course).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!