Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Apartment Living: Soon...NOT

Loved being considered a genius, especially by gal pals, for the two apartment solution to marital harmony; learned to tolerate the laundry room.

What finally did me in was the increasingly dorm-like atmosphere of what was once considered a luxury apartment building. Unleashed dogs trashing my little patch of paradise, didn't help. Add to that, rent hikes and a mortgage lending rate of 3.5%, plus tales about great housing bargains to be found. I guess my fantasy about what a rectory might look like also got me moving about moving. 

And so, even though I -- and we -- are getting too tired and old for these maneuvers, we're currently riding the Type 6 rapids of real estate. Actually, it hasn't been that bad. We're veteran home-buyers, owners, and sellers in housing markets way weirder than this one. We're also able to articulate what probably will and what absolutely won't work for us.

For two people who crave solitude and prefer privacy, it's all about floor plan. Last week we found something to accommodate our respective quirks, the inspection is on Thursday and if all goes well, we'll close in seven weeks.

7 comments:

  1. Preliminary details, Tim: We're going through yet another round of renouncing (sounds much more holy than "ditching") possessions (read: crap).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh holy patrons of real estate, personal space and marital bliss - pray for us!

    I am excited to hear more as it goes along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh....my.....goodness. I am speechless...sorta...but super excited for you both for yet a NEW adventure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh....my.....goodness. I am speechless...sorta...but super excited for you both for yet a NEW adventure

    ReplyDelete
  5. A huge amount of work lies ahead but it will be worth it. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

    Sorry about the dogs and the gardens!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Griff -- You're speechless?? Alert the media. You and everyone need to know that we will be continuing separate space in our new home -- separate bedrooms and a floor between my office and Dan's TV, as God intended.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!