Monday, August 13, 2012

Quote du Jour (Religion Department)

If I had energy and time, I'd do a comprehensive review of the Catholic blogosphere (Right, Left, and Center) to see who posted which quote(s) from Sr. Pat Farrell's presidential address to the 2012 LCWR Assembly. I have neither the energy nor the time, but I'd love to know how many highlighted this magnificent example of rueful ironic understatement:


There is an inherent existential tension between the complementary roles of hierarchy and religious which is not likely to change.

In an ideal ecclesial world, the different roles are held in creative tension, with mutual respect and appreciation, in an environment of open dialogue, for the building up for the whole Church. The doctrinal assessment [of the CDF) suggests that we are not currently living in an ideal ecclesial world.

─  Pat Farrell, OSF


7 comments:

Fran said...

Thank you for posting this. I had read her words, but these words had not gelled before my eyes as they did yours.

Lynda said...

This is an excellent quote - extremely well-expressed and very true but it probably wouldn't be helpful to know how often and where this quote appears. This is one of those times where Paul gives good counsel: "Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." (Philippians 4:8) It is important that we support what is right and not bury our heads in the sand but it is also important that not to get dragged down by the Spirit that is not God.

Meredith Gould said...

Fran: Just reveals where I'm at!
Lynda: Wise counsel. I guess I'm always looking to see if I have any company in my frustrated angst-ness.

Todd said...

Thanks Meredith, I saw that too. But I went with the doctrine quote.

If we're going to go Pauline with this, I confess I find myself convicted by Ephesians 4:1b-3. I'd like to "bear with (others)," but I don't know I've settled into a place where I can do that just yet.

Philomena Ewing said...

Yes, you have company my friend !!
Thanks for this one
Blessings

Meredith Gould said...

Phil,
I always seem to need affirmation in that department. I'm in big-time flux these days.

Lynda said...

Of course you have lots of company. Please don't feel that you are alone in your thinking. Many of us are very concerned these days but this happens periodically within the church. One thing that attracted me to the RCC is the balance between the emphasis on relationship with Jesus and the need to live out that faith in good works. I will continue to be faithful to the teachings of Christ as expressed in Matthew 25. Thank you for sharing your concern.