Sunday, July 28, 2013

Quote du Jour (Pope Francis Department): "We lose people because they don't understand what we're saying."

Should have seen this one coming but still surprised to find myself creating a special Quote du Jour Department for Pope Francis. After decades of irritation if not downright disgust with popes, I find myself eagerly awaiting opportunities to read what this one has to say.

There's a bittersweet poignancy and/or evidence of the Holy Spirit to this. I haven't been able to stomach a Roman Catholic Mass since the "new" horribly retro Roman Missal was foisted upon us. (I'm one of Those People who still signs petitions to get rid of that linguistic atrocity.) No surprise, then, that this passage from his recent address to bishops of Brazil would capture my attention:


At times we lose people because they don’t understand what we are saying, because we have forgotten the language of simplicity and import an intellectualism foreign to our people. Without the grammar of simplicity, the Church loses the very conditions which make it possible “to fish” for God in the deep waters of his Mystery.

─  Pope Francis