Thursday, September 19, 2013

Quote du Jour (Pope Francis Department): "We must walk united in our differences."

I was away from my computer most of the day, so only late this afternoon did I notice my news feeds jamming with references to and quotes from "the exclusive interview with Pope Francis" featured in America magazine.

The interview, titled "A Big Heart Open to God," weighs in at 12,000 words. Most observers have focused on what Pope Francis says about (too many) Roman Catholics' obsession with "a disjointed multitude of doctrines imposed insistently" and grievous lack of compassion for those most deserving of it.

Great stuff, and what have I zoomed in on? First, this:

If a person says that he met God with total certainty and is not touched by a margin of uncertainty, then this is not good....If one has the answers to all the questions—that is the proof that God is not with him. It means that he is a false prophet using religion for himself. ─  Pope Francis



And given my commitment to faith beyond denominations, this:


“We must walk united with our differences: there is no other way to become one. This is the way of Jesus.”  ─  Pope Francis