Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Quote(s) du Jour (Pope Francis Department): "There is no Catholic God, there is God..."

For those of you keeping score at home, it's Pope Francis in the lead and for that I am very grateful. I've had a rough couple of months dealing with what I, in my most generous mood, characterize as Roman Catholic crap.

More specifically, I've been steadfastly refusing to jump through any vetting hoops relative to giving talks or workshops about social media at Roman Catholic-sponsored conferences. My current response is, "Invite me or don't invite me." Lord, have mercy.

Back to this morning's cause for joy; an interview with Pope Francis in la Repubblica.it conducted and reported by Eugenio Scalfari. Even before reading the transcript, I was transfixed by this in Scalfari's head note:
"I don't know how to end this call and let myself go, saying: 'Can I embrace you by phone?' 'Of course, a hug from me too. Then we will do it in person, goodbye.'"
Then, after sitting with that for a bit, I read the rest of the interview, which includes a frank and respectful exchange about belief and God. As a Jew who embraced Christianity relatively late in life, I loved reading this:

"And I believe in God, not in a Catholic God, there is no Catholic God, there is God and I believe in Jesus Christ, his incarnation. Jesus is my teacher and my pastor, but God, the Father, Abba, is the light and the Creator."

─  Pope Francis

My big plan is to focus on this truth because given my current mood, I'm more likely to dwell on how Pope Francis calls out the rampant narcissism among church leaders "Clericalism," he says, "should have nothing to do with Christianity." Amen.

Read the entire interview here: http://bit.ly/18KkQ9l




1 comment:

Lynda said...

Pope Francis tells it as he sees it. There is no intention to speak in a politically correct manner. He speaks directly and with humility as he tells us that "there is no Catholic God". Thank you for sharing this.