Saturday, January 11, 2014

Shocker: This Nightstand and Other Hotel Room Drawers


What is this?

This is a photograph of the drawer in the nightstand next to my bed at the Embassy Suites in Herndon, VA.* When opened, the drawer in the other nightstand looked the same. So did every other drawer in the suite -- in the desks, the dressers, and by the kitchenette. Empty.

I know all these drawers were all empty because I opened all of them. Very empirically rigorous of me, dontcha think?

If I hadn't already been sitting on the bed when I opened the first drawer, I probably would have sat myself down hard. As it was, I felt a bit stunned and then a bit sad. Was this an anomaly or the way things are these days? Was I looking at some kind of regional something? A hotel chain policy?

What is this?

This a photograph of the drawer in the nightstand next to my bed at the Embassy Suites in Herndon, VA. Tell me, do you see what I didn't see?

*Big thanks to the staff at the Alexandra and Arlington Districts of the United Methodist Church who invited me to deliver a social media training workshop during the Bi-District Training Day.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, no Gideon's Bible. It's not there any more. I have seen that too at some hotels. Times have changed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Gideon checked out; and he left it, no doubt, to help with good Rocky's revival."

    I guess Rocky took it with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Canada there have been legal challenges against the Gideons by secularists so the Bibles aren't as readily available as previously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in a lot of hotels in the past six or so months and this is the first time I noticed the absence of the Bible, although people are tell me this has been the case for a year or so? So odd, but then, I'm from the "school prayer" generation. But wait, didn't I turn out okay?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been to acouple that had both a Bible and the Koran!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I mostly choose Marriott. There's a Book of Mormon, yes, but always a Bible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!