Sunday, March 9, 2008

Charming or Weird? You Choose!

When my father of blessed memory died in 1998, I inherited the home office supplies he bought in bulk quantities. Woohoo! I still have two boxes of 5,000 Swingline standard staples. The reams of paper went pretty quickly -- all except one double-ream box of 100% rag that I held onto for practical and sentimental purposes.

Practically speaking, it only stopped reeking of cigarettes in the past year or so. Plus, 100% rag, even malodorous and yellowed, always seemed too substantial to use as scrap paper; too scuzzy to allow out of my home office. At some point last year I started using it.

The box's label has had enduring sentimental value. It's stamped "Bozell & Jacobs, Inc.," which students of advertising and public relations history will recognize represents an earlier incarnation of what would be come Bozell, Jacobs, Kenyon, & Eckhardt, and then Bozell Worldwide in the 1990s. My father freelanced for a B&J outpost in Union, NJ.

Below the B&J name (set in a font no one uses anymore) my father had boldly written in black marker: 100% RAG WHITE. Clearly, this had been written long before his printing would deteriorate into a wobbly scrawl.

Last week, I discovered that I'd finally used up the paper. I have not yet been able to toss the unfolded corrugated cardboard box into recycling. I've been hanging onto it like it's a third class relic. I think I'll eventually use pieces of it to protect my books when wrapping them up for shipping.

In any event, I was going to keep the label, but then realized I was being ridiculous. After all, I still have on a bookshelf in my office the business card box filled with my share of his ashes. Charming? Weird? I can't decide.

3 comments:

  1. I vote "charming." My maternal grandmother was very stylish and loved to shop. While cleaning out her things after her death, I kept her Filenes Dept. Store credit card, with her signature on the back. Not only has the card long-expired, the store has, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing what gets assigned sentimental value? You could probably sell that Filenes card on e-bay and pay off your mortgage w/the proceeds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tired yellowed magazine cut-out picture of Jesus and a roughly hand sewn sewing needle book with two needles in it both of which belonged to my maternal grandmother. My mother has her pot of rouge.
    I don't think any of this is weird, it's charming and you know what, I'm going to go look at my relics right now!
    Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!