Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Meanwhile, on the Earth plane...

Not only has production begun on The Word Made Fresh: Communicating Church and Faith Today, but I'm actively involved in making this book look like something anyone would want to read. I spent part of yesterday reviewing the interior page design, tweaked as per my requests. I'm still waiting to see yet another revision of the cover.

Other authors gasp with shock and awe whenever I reveal how much the team at Morehouse Publishing has allowed me to authentically participate in the publishing process.

Normally, authors lose all power, authority, and influence once their manuscript is flowed into design. Never mind that a good literary agent will write "cover consultation" into the book contract. It's the rare author who gets to say much more than, "love it" or "hate it." Rarely, if ever, are authors allowed to preview the page design.

I happen to be one of those rare authors. In part this is because I've been blessed with editors who share my vision. In fact, I've been blessed with editors who've had an even bigger vision than I for what I was writing. But I also happen to know enough about graphic design to provide input at a level of detail that includes grousing about line spacing and kerning. And I own a copy of Adobe Acrobat.

My editor and the production team at Morehouse knew all this about me from the get-go and so far my participation seems to be working for everyone involved. Their designer gets direction from me that's more specific than, "it looks funky." I end up with a design that visually supports the book's text. Occasions of sin are avoided all around. Thanks be to God.