Thursday, June 12, 2008

An Author's Life: Book Production (II)

In my previous post titled, "An Author's Life," I revealed the sorry truth about what authors must commit to doing if they want their books to receive any recognition. In that post, I wrote about making the necessary transition from author to marketing pro.

This post is about maintaining one's psycho-spiritual stability throughout the publishing process, having descended into madness circa 4:00 this morning. The trigger? Finding a major blooper hiding in plain sight, an error that escaped the notice of an editor, a copy editor, a proofreader, a book designer, and an author with OCD. The book has already gone to the printer, so who knows if this morning's frantic fax to Morehouse will lead to correction?

"Well, at least it's not obscene," said Ruth when I carped to her about the situation. To that I not-so-silently added, "for a change."

The first (hardcover) edition of The Catholic Home has a typo that manages to render a passage stunningly and somewhat hilariously obscene. I'm not thrilled this happened, but I have derived some sick satisfaction from the fact that it went undetected by all the Super Sanctimonious Catholics who smacked me around for screwing up some liturgical color designations.

So how do I maintain my psycho-spiritual stability? I make every effort to return to my spiritual practices whenever this stuff starts making me psycho. Today's prayer: Dear Heavenly Father thanks, I guess, for providing so many Kiss It All Up to You opportunities. Please help me to receive them with grace and good humor. I ask this in the name you said you would never refuse, Jesus who is Lord forever and ever. Amen.