Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Life as a Personal Aide

Earlier this week -- like yesterday -- I had a conversation about home health aides with a friend who has recently entered this crazy system of so-called care.

This, in turn, prompted me to think about how I've been going about this aide thing all wrong. You do know that a huge part of my life (that I cannot imagine being without) involves assisting Ruth, aka Wheelie Catholic, right? I've written about this before.

I might start writing more about this because we have so many noteworthy adventures. For example, I recently had to explain how to get much-needed wheelchair parts more quickly. The parts, I was told by the vendor, were coming from "all the way across the country." I suggested the dealer might be commanded to use an overnight delivery service.

Okay, so maybe I'm a genius when it comes to using the phone but what about my onsite performance? After a bit of research into what other aides accomplish, I decided to discuss my key concerns with Ruth. In addition to being the Boss of Me, she has a lot more experience in these matters.

"I love the kitty apron but I think I should be wearing a uniform."

"One of those smocky things? You didn't want one."

"No, I just didn't want one with bunnies or puppies. I wanted one with cats."

"What else?"

"Well, I think I should probably be more like other aides and watch TV while you struggle to eat something in the kitchen."

"You're forgetting to demand gas money and that I order in an entire pizza for you."

"Oh, okay. Could I get anchovies with that?"

1 comment:

  1. LOL! mmm anchovies.

    So many food/TV stories about aides...the one who brought in her own dinner, ate in front of me and turned on her soaps, then said to me "Don't you have work to do?" when I asked her when I could eat....
    (the therapeutic theory being that working really does distract one from hunger...)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!