Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Tell no one..."

Had I been asked to "break open the Word" for today's Mass, I would've skipped right to the end of the gospel reading and focused on Matthew 16:20, "Then he strictly ordered his disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ."

Throughout the synoptic gospels, Jesus tells his disciples and other groupies to keep their yaps shut about who he is (the Christ) and what he has done (healed the sick and raised the dead). Do they? Doubtful. After all, they are human; forbidden fruit takes many forms. For all we know, Peter, James, and John raced down the mountain right back to Jesus Headquarters to blab about the Transfiguration.

So what was Jesus up to in these stories? Working a bit of reverse psychology? And if so, to what end? Was he being strategic? I think this is all worth pondering and plan to do so as I lay supine on the couch for the rest of my Sabbath afternoon.



Image snagged from: Jesus of the Week