Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sensual September

Martha's comment about sharpened #2 pencils transported me into a brief and welcomed work-avoidance reverie about scents of September, especially ones that conjure up memories of school.

While much of elementary school remains a blank, there are scents (and tastes) that never fail to transport me to a happy place. Here's my list. What's on yours?
  • Crayola crayons (preferably the box of 64 colors)
  • Play-Doh (available as spray cologne)
  • Construction paper (freshly ripped)
  • White paste (slathered onto arithmetic paper and crumbly-dry at the edges)
  • Pencil shavings (from #2 pencils only)
  • Kiwi shoe polish (in a drippy applicator bottle)
  • Bologna w/mayonnaise on white bread (after ~ 3 hours in a brown paper lunch bag)

2 comments:

  1. LOL�thanks for the trip down memory lane:

    - Red Mary Jane shoes and knee high
    - Peanut butter and Jelly on white w/ Campbell�s tomato soup in my thermos
    - Nap time. Pulling the multicolor throw out of my cubby hole and taking quiet time. I should let you know that I failed nap in kindergarten. Something else wasted the young. What I wouldn�t give to have nap time daily at work, I�d pass with flying colors now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always volunteered to take the seat work mimeos to the office to be run off by the secretary, allowing me to sniff that heavenly violet paper. A pox on XEROX. I might actually have written my dissertation if I knew I could run off the copies for my committee on that stainless steel cylinder and reap those olfactory blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!