Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day: Poverty 2008

These verses from St. Paul's Letter to the Philippians have been on my mind and heart since hearing them during last Sunday's Mass, especially given what's been going on in the global economy:
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:12-13, NIV)
I'm not claiming that prayer will solve poverty or that anyone unfortunate enough to be hungry and homeless has time or energy for lectio divina. And maybe this is not what organizers of Blog Action Day had in mind for posts. Still, I have to say these words have served to sustain me through bleak financial times over the years, helping me to walk by faith and not by fright.