Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Hanukah

On this year's Gregorian calendar, Hanukah shows up on December 22, which means it begins at sundown on the last Sunday of Advent.

Although this Jewish faux holiday has nothing to do with Christmas, that doesn't stop Jewish organizations from participating in the December selling season. And so, I was not especially surprised to receive from Aish.com an ad for an Amazing Collection of Hanukah Menorahs. What stopped me in my click-read-delete tracks was this come hither ad copy: Looking for that beautiful menorah that says it all?

These days, I'm studying the 1st century events that separated Hebrew and Gentile followers of Jesus into two separate religions, events that included Roman carnage. As a result, I've been pondering the phrase, "says it all." Nothing beautiful comes to mind. Yet.