Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day, 2008

First, I woke up with the words of this e.e. cummings poem in my head. Next, it appeared as today's prayer on Ironic Catholic's NaPraGoMo (National Pray to God Month) blog.

I have a special fondness for this poem for many reasons, including the fact that one of my dearest sisters from the ashram years brought it to my consciousness. I keep a copy of this tacked onto the bulletin board next to my desk and although you'd think I'd have it memorized completely by now, I do not. I do, however, manage to recall the first line and, thankfully, the part about "everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes." I note with delight under what circumstances other lines drift in and out of memory.

Seems like not only the perfect poem for Thanksgiving but also for the advent of Advent. May the blessings of today be revealed in the next and the next, world without end.


i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

--e.e. cummings