Tuesday, December 16, 2008

ADVENTure: O Antiphons!

If it's December 17th, then it's time to chant the O Antiphons. And if I'm chanting the O Antiphons, then it's time almost time to drag the tree up from the basement.

From the basement? A few years ago, my friend Julie decided I needed a pre-lit artificial tree. Knowing I'd never splurge on one for myself, she hauled one over. Now, sometime between O Clavis David and O Emmanuel it gets hauled up to the living room where it does double duty as a Christmas tree and a very big cat toy.

The tree stays up until Epiphany which I celebrate in part by putting away ornaments and vacuuming fake pine needles and dried hairballs off the carpeting. My big plan this year is to take my own advice and practice a bit o' lectio divina with the scripture verses for each O:

December 17
O Sapientia (Wisdom)
Isaiah 11:2-3, 28:29

December 18
O Adonai (Lord)
Isaiah 11:4-5, 33:22

December 19
O Radix Jesse (Root of Jesse)
Isaiah 11:1, 10

December 20
O Clavis David (Key of David)
Isaiah 9:6, 22:22

December 21
O Oriens (Rising Sun)
Isaiah 9:1

December 22
O Rex Gentium (King of All Nations)
Isaiah 2:4, 9:5, 28:16

December 23
O Emmanuel (God With Us)
Isaiah 7:14, 8:8