Monday, December 28, 2009

Modern Monastic? Check out The Virtual Abbey


If you'd like to live in sync with the Benedictine tradition without hieing off to a building, then the Virtual Abbey may work for you. It does for me. This online community, once known as the Urban Abbey, has become a steady and steadying presence. Thanks be to God -- and Twitter.

Seven months ago, I was just beginning to grasp the power of Prayer 2.0. Now, I'm participating more fully. Participation has meant engaging with other believers (interpret that however you wish) to create more ways to become church via social media.

In addition to praying the Daily Office on Twitter (@Virtual_Abbey), we're gathering as a community on Facebook. Our blog, The Virtual Abbey, is now live and I'm happy to reveal that I have the privilege of serving as editor. Please check out our Abbess' welcoming post wherein she notes how "we're ecumenical in the extreme." I love that part!

Check us out and then stay for prayer and conversation; discover how spiritual life transcends boundaries of time and place.