Monday, January 16, 2012

Yet Another Attempt at Happy New Year

Happy New Year...one more time? Under the best of circumstances I triple-dip this salutation -- once on Rosh Hashonah, on the first Sunday of Advent, and then again on January 1st.

We're sixteen days into 2012 and I'm declaring "do over" in the Happy New Year department. Now that another book is launched and recent health crap is resolved, I'm finally able to think ahead.

Like everyone else, I already have some exciting events on the calendar. I'm finishing up one terrific project and have inklings of what might be next. I will participate in Lent Madness with a gaggle of great bloggers. I'll probably write my annual post about how having a parish-based Seder is not evil, demeaning, or wrong. I know I must have a serious conversation with the young lovely who cuts my hair.

But really and truly, I haven't a clue what's next. I've been in this place before and struggled to escape it like a cat wrapped up to be pilled. I'm thinking that hanging out in the Great Cloud of Unknowing would be a very good thing at this juncture.

What on earth will this look like?

I don't know about that either, but suspect getting back to spiritual basics is the way to go.  For me this means getting back to discerning if whatever I'm doing enhances or distracts me from my relationship with the Almighty. I might have to start with a silent retreat somewhere. God knows it has been way too long since I've rearranged furniture in a monkish cell on my way to more clarity.