Thursday, August 28, 2008

Striking the Set of Summer

It's Labor Day weekend and I'm celebrating by striking the set of summer.

Truth be told, I started taking down and putting away most of the summer d├ęcor earlier this week. I yanked the seasonal display of silk flowers from my not-to-be-sullied-by-fire fireplace, swapped light green coasters for claret colored ones, and put away my cats' pink and white Hello Kitty bowls.

Today, I brought flowered summer skirts and light linen pants to the cleaners. On my drive home I noticed leaves starting to change color on one precocious tree. Tomorrow, I plan to scrub clean and pack away most (not all) of my flip flops. I'll carry armfuls of purple, orange, and yellow silk mums up from the basement to start setting the stage for autumn.

I'm so done with sun. Up with fall.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, Boo-Boo, I'm one of those who hangs onto each season until the calendar releases me into the next one. In the case of fall -- my true favorite -- it's a case of exercising my patience (not a strong suit) and refusing to be mastered by the cultural calendar with SCHOOL as its axis. Fondest memories of sharpened #2s and new saddle shoes, but I adore these last summer days that coax us into full-blown fall. To put a slight twist on JT: "Winter, spring, summer or fall" -- it's all blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. freshly sharpened #2 pencils.I think I still have a piece of lead in my thigh from one of 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meredith, Wonderful to find your site and blog tonight. I just sent you an email. Look forward to reading more here and at your site, very soon.

    Hugs, Geraldine

    www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!