Friday, March 19, 2010

The Insects that Bloom in the Spring...Tra-la!

Ok, Spring is officially here. Crocuses, snowdrops, daffodils? Pffft. I'm talking ants. This morning, I found a few marching across the tiled floor of my bathroom, no doubt the scouting party for a platoon to follow. Fine with me.

I absolutely do not get the ick factor relative to ants, not the little cute busy ones, anyway. Carpenter ants are a somewhat different story, possibly because I worked on a pesticide account for two years. Even so, I admire ants. I find them inspiring: "Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise..." (Proverbs 6:6, NKJV) Go, ants!

And ladybugs? They've started sunbathing on my house plants. Delightful. Love the polka dots. Who wouldn't? One of my neighbors, apparently.

Two days ago, I encountered her shivering with disgust because ladybugs were "swarming" on her windows. Ladybugs. Swarming. She wants them exterminated. What's up with that? I don't even want to know what she'd want done with my ants.

4 comments:

  1. Mine are probably just a few days behind.

    And carpenter ants? Eew. They did bad things to my last house. Hungry little buggers!!

    Fran from her work identity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fine with ants. I'm super fine with ladybugs. I'm even fine with the occasional beetle and moth. But there is a new bug, "The Stink Bug". It totally freaks me out. They look like teeny tiny crabs with a shell to match. I understand the buggars came from China in shipping containers. They purportedly smell awful when you squish, step on or splat one. I'm never close enough to notice.The ridding of the bug is a job for the kids and husband. And who smells bugs post mortum, anyway? My dog ate one of these disgusting things two days ago and have yet to speak to her! Meredith, I can assure you these awful hellish creatures are NOT in the bible. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stink bugs are primordial looking indeed. They remind me of cockroaches with more armor. Sure, they're not pretty but I admire their fortification.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think GREEN stink bugs were around before - perhaps the ones I remember were a different species! I am not upset by many bugs - even spiders (as long as they are non-poisonous). They are natural pesticides!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!