Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole of Memory


Prepping for July's move isn't all fun and sport, there's lots of Inward Ho work going on as well. Okay by me, I'm such a personal growth enthusiast that when the going gets rough I routinely ask: What can I learn? How can I grow? Do I have enough dark chocolate stashed away?

Since in many instances God only knows the answer, I spend considerable amounts of time consulting with the Almighty, especially when big changes are on the horizon. Big changes are on the horizon and, get this, interstate moves are priced by the pound.

I'm subjecting all stuff to a three-prong scrutiny test: need it? want it? like it? You'd think this would be easy and for the most part it is ─ except when I'm in danger of tumbling down the rabbit hole of memory and staying there too long.

Keep or toss? The:
  • delightful "hippo mug" I've had since the late 1970s; bestowed by an ex-husband after his drunk mother called me a kike.
  • lovely Shaker box; gift from my brother's very ex-girlfriend.
  • heart-shaped Le Creuset Dutch oven; bought by and for me as an anniversary gift from an ex-husband.
  • intricate needlepoint canvas I worked on while my father of blessed memory was dying.
  • cat images and tchotchkes accumulated over 15 years; all cats died this past year.
  • books I've never read; inscribed by people I no longer know.
  • decades of diaries and prayer journals.
What have I learned? How have I grown?

Of course the list of stuff and the memories it triggers is longer. I pray, nap, eat chocolate. Keep or toss? In fact, I've opted to keep only one item on this list. Care to guess which one and why?

7 comments:

  1. Well, if it were me...I would keep the diaries and journals.
    Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Le Creuset FTW! :-P

    I just completed a similar move (not out-of-state, but 50 miles to a completely different type of life) and the cleaning out, while hard, was very cathartic. Godspeed to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Friends,
    Combining on and offline votes, so far:
    Shaker Box 1
    Diaries & Prayer Journals 2
    Le Creuset 1
    Needlepoint canvas 1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meredith,
    Hope the move goes smoothly and your efforts at minimalism work !!
    The needlepoint is in my head for some reason !!( Jungians would probably say it's a father complex).
    Please do let us know the outcome.
    When I moved to Malawi some years ago I sold pretty much everything I had and during the time I spent there I realised just how little I needed in material terms and could still live life well.
    Now I am firmly ensconced back in Western lifestyle and don't always know why I can't find it easy to do the big chuck out all over again.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. In 1983, I got rid of 11 years of journals. I have regretted that decision ever since. Keep the diaries. If you don't want them in your house, put them in a safe deposit box, put them in a hole in the ground. But keep them.
    That's my vote, and my counsel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alrighty! More votes rolling in here and via email for the Shaker box and lots for the journals. My friends, you will probably make me start picking through trash! More will be revealed end-of-week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear merry,
    Knowing you, I think the needlepoint and the diaries are the two tough ones to let go. I think you'll keep the diaries. WHY? Because hidden (and not) in those pages is your life lessons and a history you won't leave behind. PLUS if some of us every got hold of them from the famous curbside recycle bins...we'd have blackmail fodder for years!
    XX
    P.S. Psh! Cat trinkets?...adios!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!