Sunday, October 21, 2012

Book Alert: Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care


Your ability to recognize this happy man will depend on from whence you hail in my life.

If you're involved with health care social media, you'll know this is my friend, colleague and sometimes boss-of-me, Lee Aase, Director of the Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media (MCCSM).

Why is he smiling? Well, Lee has the amazing ability to almost always be smiling. In this instance, it's  because he's holding a finished copy of Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care.  

For this project, Lee was the publisher and I was the editor, which is why a picture of me holding the book would have featured me smiling while gently applying acupressure to my neck.

All not kidding aside, I also wrote a couple of essays, one about the importance of thinking more sociologically and another about Pinterest and the value of art for healing body, mind, and spirit. I'm particularly proud of the latter essay, originally written for the MCCSM blog. You can read it on the Mayo site here.

Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care
includes essays from 30 thought leaders who generously share their practical, experience-based wisdom about the strategy and practice of social media. You can learn more about the book and its contents by reading this post, which includes a fantastic (and brief!) video with Farris Timimi, M.D., Medical Director of MCCSM.

And while this book is focused on social media strategies and tactics for healthcare, I believe anyone involved with social media will find lots of interest and value in it. Yes, I'm looking at you, church social media (#chsocm) folks!

Note: All net proceeds go to fund scholarships for patients and caregivers to attend MCCSM conferences.