Saturday, January 12, 2013

Back to The Bean!


Hi, my name is Meredith and I'm apparently powerless over coffee.

I've completely quit drinking coffee a few times. The time I remember best was circa 1982. I'd developed a major Super Joe habit during graduate school, years earlier.

Yes, dear (younger) readers (if I have any) this was a time before St. Arbucks. Dunkin' Donuts was the place to go for great coffee. I went to graduate school at New York University, so I could also get a great cuppa from the deli en route to my study carrel.

By the time I was on the Sociology faculty at Rutgers-Camden, I was drinking Medaglia D'Oro instant expresso. Don't judge me. It was a difficult time in my life, which you'd think would have prevented me from declaring The Bean evil. But I was experiencing cold shakes after only three mugs, so I knew I had to quit.

I stayed stopped until 1994.

Decaf was the gateway drug back. I went to /2 caff and 1/2 decaf after two weeks of being in "the rooms."* I was guzzling leaded high test within a month. After a few years and getting my "brains out of hock,"** I could no longer ignore how the accompanying gastric upset was not at all mitigated by therapeutic doses of Ranitidine, so I quit. Again.

I stayed pretty much stopped, getting my caffeine in other (insufficient) ways. Then what happened? A unholy trinity of things: 1) my Twitter stream is filled and flowing with heavy duty coffee drinkers who tweet about all things coffee day and night; 2) I was missing the taste; and 3) I needed...wanted...the jolt.

Currently seem to be holding steady at a 1/2 and 1/2 mix. Tipping the balance to more caff is really not a good look or feel for me.

Yes, I'm back to The Bean. Go ahead, judge me.




* & ** If you know what these expressions mean, you'll know what happened in 1994.


4 comments:

Fran said...

Oh Meredith! I hear you sister, how I hear you.

In 1992, I was suffering from terrible asthma and in desperation, went to a homeopathic physician. Not realizing what was about to happen, she told me I had to stop drinking coffee that day. That day! I did, and spent the next three days in a headache-y fog.

Then I never felt better in my life. In. My. Life. Ever.

This carried on nicely until 1996 or so. And once I went back... Well, off to make another cup!

P.S. Over the years, the asthma has subsided. Who knows why?

Elizabeth said...

Judge not lest ye be judged.

Welcome back!

Rob said...

Welcome back to the ... um... famil... er.. cult... ah...


welcome back. :)

e-Patient Dave said...

I judge thee awesome!