Saturday, February 2, 2008

Candlemas! Pancakes!!

So fixated am I on Lent and so in denial am I about it being early this year that I nearly forgot today is: 1) The Feast of the Presentation of Our Lord; 2) The Feast of the Purification of the Virgin; 3) Candlemas; 4) All the above. Good thing Google Reader just delivered Sweetness and Light!

Candlemas is traditionally when all ceremonial candles that will be used in the coming year are blessed. And aren't you blessed if you belong to a parish that observes this lovely tradition. If you don't and can't find a church nearby that does, then eat pancakes. Huh?

Pancakes are traditional fare for Candlemas. Their sunny color and shape supply gustatory support for this English proverb:

If Candlemas be fair and bright,
Winter has another flight.
If Candlemas brings clouds and rain,
Winter will not come again.

Well, it's currently 41 degrees Fahrenheit and somewhat bright, so I'm heading out to IHOP. Since I know that anything eaten in a car while driving is devoid of calories, I'll see if I can get a short stack to go.




6 comments:

  1. Does that mean that I can explain the outrageous urge I felt to buy candles at Target today not as abject consumerism but as an innate liturgical sensibility?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The *violet* candles? Absolutely, especially if you also tossed cough drops and guaifensin into that huge red shopping cart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had crepes!! They were delish, we're having pancakes for dinner for Shrove Tuesday!! Happy Lent, Oh, and are your eyes glazed over yet???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I celebrated "Fat Tuesday" early by eating an entire sleeve of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies yesterday. I'm not eligible for any more food until Easter Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know it was tradition, but I made pancakes Saturday morning! I lucked out on that one!:) Didn't make it to church though as I had not bought any candles to bring with me to get blessed. Oh well.

    I just found your blog and have enjoyed your book "The Catholic Home" and use it regularly!

    Oh, and to answer your question above , so far I've heard "have a blessed Lent," "have a prayerful Lent," and "God Bless you during this season of Lent." I think it's considered bad form if you say "Happy Lent," what with the penitential aspect of it all and everything . . . :)

    Have a great day!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah! So glad you're enjoying my book. I think you're probably right about "happy Lent" being bad form. Nothing to be too jazzed about until He is Risen Indeed, although since we already know the end/beginning of the story...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment and please consider continuing this conversation with me on Twitter and Facebook!