Saturday, February 2, 2008

Giving it up for Lent

I've always been suspicious of people who give up chocolate for Lent, especially women who feel compelled to do this. Haven't they read the research about chocolate's health benefits? I also wonder about folks who become a bit too keen on fasting, especially those who hop onto a scale each Thursday morning during Lent to help them discern how much, if any, mac-n-cheese to scarf down along with Friday's fish.

These sacrifices seem to be an excuse for dieting rather than an effort to become more keenly aware of Our Lord & Savior's salvific actions. Not that I'm against dieting. My computer desktop has a shortcut to a list of one point foods. Gee, maybe I'll give up that distracting obsession for Lent. Or maybe I should give up giving up and devote forty days to focusing on what's truly important:
This is what the Lord asks of you;
only this,
to act justly,
to love tenderly,
and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8