Monday, May 5, 2008

42nd World Communications Day -- Part II

Now I'm wishing the pope's message for the 42nd World Communications Day had arrived on my screen before I sent my final copy edits to Morehouse Publishing. B16's ongoing commentary about the perils of moral relativism continues in his message about social communications. He wrote:
"Today, communication seems increasingly to claim not simply to represent reality, but to determine it, owing to the power and the force of suggestion that it possesses...Hence, the impact of the communications media on modern life raises unavoidable questions, which require choices and solutions that can no longer be deferred."
But what I really wish could be included in The Word Made Fresh is his prayer:
"Let us ask the Holy Spirit to raise up courageous communicators and authentic witnesses to the truth, faithful to Christ's mandate and enthusiastic for the message of faith."