Saturday, February 25, 2012

An Author's Life: Not Weathering Weather Well

These crocuses? Saw them during a walk I took last week. They're lovely harbingers of spring and you'd think I'd be glad and grateful for their perky appearance. I am not. In fact I was somewhat bummed to see them and the daffodils that started blooming a few days ago.

What's my problem? I like seasons. I especially like winter because of its promise of deep dark snowy quiet. Like? Actually, I need an extended period of deep dark snowy quiet to write. That hasn't happened this year in Baltimore. No snow. None.

Praying for snow isn't working, so I might have to resort to magic: packing up humidifiers, storing down comforters, putting away sweaters, and getting out summer clothes. Yes, I am that desperate for snowfall.